Sean McDermotts rose from the ashes of the old Shamrocks Club who were based in the Small Heath area of Birmingham, the area from which the club drew its first members. And so it began in April 1957, the club was founded by the four original officers. Chairman Eddie Brady, Vice Chairman Hughie Reel, Treasurer Jimmy Smith and Mick Healy the first secretary. Little did they realise at the time, that they had laid the foundations for what was to become one of the most successful clubs in G.A.A circles. The first meeting took place at St. Anne's Parish Hall with the aim of choosing the name of the club and also deciding the club's playing colours. The outcome was to name the club Sean McDermotts after the well known Dublin Team that bore the same name. The club colours were to be, the now famed, green and white and the original membership fee was 5 shillings. The club first fielded a team in junior football with a hurling team being formed in the following year. Early success was soon to follow and the first title, a junior football league, was won in 1958.
Oops! Something went wrong.